Today is the day! Another big theatre festival opens up in T.O, the SummerWorks Theatre Festival running from Aug. 9th-19th and we are excited! In case you were wondering… “What is this SummerWorks all about?”… here is a little info for you, my friend, about this summertime theatre festival. Think Theatre, Live Art, Music and a Performance Bar!
(Photo Cred: “The Medicine Boy” by Waawaate Fobister, directed by Tara Beagan)
SummerWorks supports work that has a clear artistic vision and explores a specific theatrical aesthetic. It encourages risk, questions, and creative exploration while insisting on accessibility, integrity and professionalism. SummerWorks is the place where dedicated, professional artists are free to explore new territory and take artistic risks. Rather than getting larger, we strive to get better. We look to introduce professional artists from diverse communities to each other and be inspired by our similarities and differences.
The SummerWorks Mandate:
The SummerWorks Theatre Festival is committed to the following:
- To ensure a high standard of quality productions in a Festival that has elements which intrigue, excite, attract and entertain an audience.
- To produce a juried Festival in which the participants feel supported by a strong technical, administrative and artistic team, and feel proud of the other high calibre work being produced alongside their own.
- To produce a Festival that provides an environment that cultivates and stimulates artistic growth, with the focus on artistic and professional development for our participants, our audience and our staff.
- To actively seek and support new and remounts of Canadian plays.
- To support the work and participation of the next generation of theatre-arts creators.
- To be an ambassador towards other art-forms.
(Read more here: summerworks.ca/about/)
To help you make your list, check it twice and then go off to see some fabulous art, check out the following:
See you there, folks!