Alex Johnson is the Project Director of the soon to be announced Playwright’s Project. Check out what she has to say about life with actor parents, the Playwright’s Project and what she thinks about the Toronto theatre scene.
Posts tagged ‘video’
By Andrea Leigh Pelletier
As any of my friends will tell you, I am a huge proponent of video art. I fell into it by accident in my final year as photography major. It was a new experience that allowed my mind to explore new forms of visual expression. Then it became a habit—I was filming my friends while they slept, and myself, alone in my apartment. Perhaps my love of video art was born out of my exhaustion with still images, and an inner yearning for a new experience. I started playing with projection and installation; it became my goal to not only produce a visual piece of art, but an immersive, all-encompassing world in which to experience this art.
With still images, I sometimes feel as though “the jig is up,” DSLRs are now commonplace and even your kid brother knows his way around Photoshop. Photographic images have saturated our world like never before because the everyday person understands their construction more thoroughly.
Installation-based video art pulls us in to an ever-changing audio-visual world, not only presenting us with beautiful and enigmatic imagery, but also surrounding us in the world of that imagery. Have I sold you yet? Good. Because right now in Toronto, there is a show I need you to see.
Read more in Artbeats
In the Greenroom’s own Andrea Leigh Pelletier and the darling Kelsey Stasiak are looking for submissions for their new and brilliant snapshot show. The two beautiful ladies have formed the curation team Laid Bare: Curations and Other Concerns. Look out for their names in Toronto, these Ryerson grads are making a big splash in the art community.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – Untitled Snapshot Show
ALL SUBMISSIONS DUE NOVEMBER 15 2011
– Original work of any medium is eligible but submitted work should be congruent with the theme of the exhibition
– Only digital submissions will be accepted, please email final zipped files to email@example.com
– Be sure to include a .rtf of your list of works: image title, year, medium, size of image (framed), and price for each piece
– All docs should be named: lastname_firstname_title.jpeg/.rtf
– Include your name, contact info, bio, and website (if applicable)
optional but encouraged:
– Include a separate .rtf of your artist statement
– Submit up to 10 images
– Images should be 100dpi, sized at 1024 pixels on the longest side
– All images should be RGB, jpeg files
– Link to your video submission (password protected if need-be)
– Please submit the entire film when possible
– Cellphone video clips or other everyday raw video clips will be accepted unedited, as one component of the will be a looped series of vignettes.
– Notification of accepted artists will be sent out on or before Dec 15 2011
– Accepted artist will be responsible for delivery of their work to Forgetus Collective in January 2012 (date to be specified)
Laid Bare may reproduce and photograph selected works for purposes related to promotion and education. By submitting to this call, artists guarantee they have copyright to submitted work.